Saturday, September 10, 2011

Spider Love

After many times of meaning to memorize a certain verse, I decided it was official. I was going to memorize more Bible verses! Sitting down at my computer, I typed out a list of some of the Bible verses I wanted to memorize. Then I came across 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” Halfway through writing out this verse, I saw movement in the corner of my eye. Glancing down, I noticed a huge dirt colored brown spider crawling only inches away from my foot. Leaping out of the way, I instantly searched my room for something to kill him with. Conveniently, my sandal was right beside me. After a scary chase around my room, I finally smashed him to his death. Then I thought about the verse I had just been typing. 'Love is patient'. Well, I hadn't exactly been patient with him and compromised saying, 'Okay, I'll give you two days to get out of my house. The door is downstairs, I'll wait for you to get down there and open it for you since you don't exactly feel like getting killed today'. 'Love is kind'. Well, I hadn't exactly chosen the kindest path for this spider. 'It always protects' Hey! I'm not going to protect a spider, okay?? He's...a spider! 'Always hopes'. No way am I going to hope for this spider to not crawl up my arm in the middle of the night and suck my blood!
 Another words, I hadn't been loving to this spider. Which, seeing as he's a spider, is fine. But don't we act this way towards people, too? Maybe they're difficult to get along with, always seem to be doing the wrong thing at the wrong time. Maybe they're slow to understand a concept or can't seem to ever stop saying rude, hurtful words. But this Bible verse says that true love, the kind Jesus showed for us, loves the person regardless of how 'unlovable' they may seem. He loves them, even with all of their faults, just like how He loves us, even with all of our faults. If He created them and loves them, why can't we show that kind of love to everybody, not just the 'easy to love' people?
 Kayla Joy