Last year at this time, we were at a hotel, on our way down from Florida. I can clearly remember every detail about breakfast at the hotel that day. That day was a special day. That day, was Christmas day. But that breakfast would have passed over in my memory by now, after all, I was too excited about traveling to Florida to think about anything else. Yet it stuck out in my memory for a sole reason--a person named Deborah.
The only reason I know Deborah's name, is because I saw her name tag. She was serving breakfast at the hotel, and went way beyond what her job duty called for her to do. All she was supposed to do, was clear off tables, clean up spills, and keep the food refreshed and full for ravenous travelers. She did a good job of this, filling up the food containers when they were getting low, picking up spills caused by young, clumsy hands, and clearing dirty plates after they were abandoned. But this, in itself, wouldn't have made an impression on me in the least bit. It was what was expected of her, after all. What stuck out to me, was the ways she went beyond her job. Keep in mind, this was Christmas day, not a fun day to be serving grumpy, tired travelers their breakfast. But she would go up to tables, and ask if she could get a drink, food, or anything for them. She acted as if she was a waitress! The whole time her face was gleaming with a huge smile, that seemed to light up the very walls themselves. She talked with me some, asking me my name, and wishing me a Merry Christmas. So that day, I wrote her a note and stuck it with some chocolates. Just a reminder that somebody appreciates what she does. Now that we're back at that very same hotel, I'm writing her another note. I don't know if she still works here or not. I don't know if she remembers me or not. But if she does still work here, even if she doesn't remember me, I know she'll appreciate a thank you note. So I'm leaving her another one. Maybe it'll be the last time I can, or maybe it'll be a new tradition.
Just a reminder for this Christmas/New Years. You might have to work on Christmas Eve or maybe even Christmas day itself, but, keep in mind the real reason for the season, and then you'll definitely have something to carry a smile on your face the whole day. Happy Christmas and New Years! :)
Kayla Joy